Saturday, February 25, 2017

The Great Debate

And no, I'm not talking about Hilary and Donald... I'm talking about BBQ !!! I don't think there's another type of food out there that has so many opinions...


1. To sauce or not to sauce
2. Red sauce or White sauce
3. Pulled, chopped or sliced
4. Hickory, Pecan, Oak or Mesquite
5. Beef, Pork or Chicken
6. Brine or not to brine
7. Wrap or not to wrap Boston Butts ???
8. BBQ sandwich with or without pickles and mayo


You see what I mean ? Everyone one of you have had these conversations with someone at some point and time and as my daddy used to say "I'd bet a dollar against a hole in a doughnut" that you probably don't get your 'take out' bbq from the same place. You more than likely get your sandwich from one place, your chicken from another and your ribs from yet another.


I can remember going into Big Bobs with my pawpaw, when it was on 6th ave, next to where it is now. O.M Hutchinson (my pawpaw) was a long time customer and we always walked in the back door, where the pits were. As a kid this was really cool stuff. I can remember him walking up to the pits and actually picking out the chickens that he wanted to buy. So I guess because of this child hood memory, I've always been fond of Big Bobs chicken. It's really good and I cant eat it without thinking back to the days with my pawpaw, riding in his El Camino while he chewed on that 'Tampa' cigar.


With all that being said, Southern Style BBQ (on Moulton St) has the absolute best pulled pork sandwich in town, hands down !!! I'm still searching for the ribs. I really liked Sonny's BBQ ribs (Hwy 20 Trinity). I believe they were possibly the best in the state but that business was hit by the 2011 tornados and have yet to rebuild. Smokey C's (Hwy 20 Decatur) actually won 'Best Ribs' in the state, by AL.COM. I've never tried them because it seems like they are only open from 11:00am to 1:00pm and I never remember that until its too late.


Chief and Snoogie's (Hwy 24 Trinity) has an outstanding smoked ham sandwich. That's all I've eaten there but its worth the ride out, I promise.


My wife and I had been to an Iron Bowl a few years back and for those of you who don't know, we are a true house divided. She's been a long time Auburn fan and I'm a life long Bama fan. Well just so happened we decided to go to the Iron Bowl one year and of all years to go, the 'Kick 6' happened right before my eyes. I couldn't believe it and neither could the other 70K folks that were there. Anyway, on the ride home I needed something to drown my sorrows. Something that would help me forget the horror that I just witnessed then I saw it, just ahead at the very end of my headlights 'Jim & Nicks". Oh my... We had eaten their food once before but it was catered in to an event that we were at. We had never actually been to the restaurant. The sausage was fantastic. Now its wasn't as good as 'Triple R BBQ in Whitewright Texas, but it was close.


Now, I'm going to give you my opinions on the 8 debates that I listed up top...
1. Only meat that I want red sauce on is brisket. Its funny because somewhere around the Cullman area and south of there, you don't have a choice really. When you order pulled pork, it comes sauced as to where from Cullman north, its always on the side.
2. I love them both. Red sauce on Brisket, White sauce on Ribs and Chicken. I believe that the only sauce that should ever be on pulled pork is a vinegar based sauce, apple cider vinegar w/ crushed red pepper flakes (Carolina Style).
3. Pulled... plain and simple.
4. I think if it wasn't so expensive, everyone would smoke with Pecan. It has a great flavor and its not over powering. Believe it or not, too much hickory can ruin a good cut of meat, in my opinion. I will generally mix pecan and hickory when I'm smoking at home. Mesquite is for Texans... I like it but keep it out there. I've recently read that oak will give a darker color and you'll have a better 'bark' on your meat but I've yet to try it.
5. All of the above
6. Its a must if you ask me (for poultry anyway). It gets so much flavor and moisture into the meat that if you ever try it, you'll always do it. Next time you smoke chicken, grab you a pack of thighs, leg quarters or half chickens and brine them for 12 hours in the following
1 gallon water
1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
garlic powder
sprig of fresh Rosemary
I'll boil about a quart of water and add my salt and sugar so that it dissolves then add the remaining gallon with cold water. You want the brine cold when you add the meat and you need to make sure you have room in the fridge, to store it. Its going to take up a lot of space.


Quick story, I smoked the family Thanksgiving turkey one year. I brined it in the above but added 1/2 gallon of cranberry juice. It added so much 'Thanksgiving' flavor but It also turned my turkey the most beautiful shade of purple that you've ever seen. I thought to myself, NOBODY will eat that. Well, when I smoked it, it turned the most beautiful golden brown. I'm glad because I was worried for a little while.


7. I've tried both and I prefer not to wrap. I like the bark you get from keeping the meat open. I'm not real concerned with it drying out because once I pull it apart, I add salt and cider vinegar to the pan of meat and it has always turned out. The key to pulled pork is 190 degree internal temp.


8. I want both... I've also heard that a slice of Vidalia onion isn't too bad.


Most books you read will tell you that pork needs to cook to an internal temp of between 145 - 165. Well it will be done at that temp but impossible to shred. You can slice or chop I guess but like I said, who wants to do that ?


We could talk BBQ all day and not even get into the side dishes. I'm a traditionalist... Baked Beans and Potato Salad kind of guy and I like my potato salad warm. Cant hardly eat it cold. I do have a killer recipe for a mustard based 'Pool Room' slaw that's perfect with pulled pork. I say I have a recipe, I have it in my head and its never the same but it always seems to turn out and its a real simple base... shredded cabbage, prepared mustard and sugar. Make a dressing, if you will, out of the mustard and sugar, add spices (celery seed is a nice touch) and pour over cabbage and mix well. Add whatever other spices, peppers and/or onions you want and just go with the flavors that you like.


Like I've already stated, this blog is all about my opinions and preferences. If you like red sauce on pulled pork, by all means, eat it up and enjoy it. If you like chopped pork and not pulled, I ain't mad at'cha.


Its almost BBQ weather so fire up them smokers and get after it !!!



No comments:

Post a Comment